Among Alseno countryside between Fiorenzuola and Fidenza, there is Colomba Chiaravalle Abbey, established in 1136 from abbot Bernardo of Clairveaux.
At the end 12° century patrimony of Abbey – thanks also to severals offers – was of about 3.000 hectares; it spread from Po river to Arda river and Stirone torrent and it included marsh territories that monks lately reclaimed. Its belongings spread also from Parma to Piacenza hills.
Monks choose this area between Scipione and Vigoleno castles – a rich territory full of natural sources very important in the complex middle of age economy often ruled by religious laws – since it was easier and faster to reach these places by feet.
Documents of monk Alberto Alamanno (as magistro et priore glanzie Cangelasii) dated 1174 were found.
Salsomaggiore area was well known for its iodine waters; this source represented a very important good of exchange to obtain salt, a very precious good during middle of age period.
Salt was extracted and obtained directly by boiling iodine water sources, but we cannot exclude that also “Cangelasio Grangia” could be a place of extraction.
This thesis can be confirmed since Chiaravalle bought wood areas destined to get wood to be burned by “terre Fageti” territory (very close to Cangelasio).
We do know for sure that the “Grangia” was also used as a warehouse, since the building has got appropriate elements useful to let come in the air and block the sun light – essential details to preserve the goods.
Cangelasio Grangia is still well preserved. Now it is surrounded by other buildings (they were built in a more recent age), among them there is The Tower, once a sighting and defensive point of Pallavicino territories.